We want to ensure that pets stay safe and healthy during the Fourth of July holiday weekend. According to the ASPCA, 1 in 5 pets goes missing after being scared by loud noises and firework displays can be seriously distressing for pets. Local public animal shelters often receive an influx of stray pets during the Independence Day holiday weekend as animals are scared and run off due to the loud noises from firework displays. We want to help keep pets and people together by sharing this important safety information:

It’s also a good idea to let neighbors know if you plan on setting off fireworks so they can keep their pets safe inside. In addition, not only are fireworks frightening for animals, they can also be toxic. Ingestion of fireworks, pool chemicals, lawn products, and human foods like grapes or raisins, onions, garlic, xylitol, macadamia nuts, chocolate, moldy foods, high fat foods, and alcohol can cause issues ranging from gastrointestinal upset to serious illness in pets. Animals should be monitored around toxins like these that are more prominent during the summer holiday season to prevent intentional or accidental consumption. For more information, check out this guide to the top four pet toxicities on July Fourth: Top4July4Poster

We hope you and your pets stay safe and have a wonderful holiday weekend!