Due to space and equipment limitations on our mobile spay-neuter unit some companion animals should make accommodations to have surgery performed in a full-service veterinary clinic. Please review the following qualifying criteria prior to requesting an appointment with our mobile unit:
Does my pet qualify for services on the Roanoke Valley SPCA Mobile Unit?
- The Roanoke Valley SPCA Spay Neuter Mobile Unit provides spay and neuter surgery exclusively for dogs and cats.
- Dogs and cats should be at least 3 months old and under the age of 9 years.
- Pre-operative bloodwork is recommended for all animals but not required. This should be done at your veterinarian as close to the scheduled surgery date as possible.
- All animals must weigh at least 3 pounds and no more than 60 pounds.
- Due to cage space limitations on the mobile unit taller breeds, such as Mastiffs and Great Danes, may be rejected if their height prevents them from fitting comfortably in our cages. These dogs are better served in our brick and mortar spay/neuter clinic, Mountain View Humane, located in Christiansburg.
- We reserve the right to decline surgery on animals with a known illness, injury, or medical condition that may increase surgical risk. This includes heart murmurs, blood, metabolic or seizure disorders, or if the animal is on certain medications that may increase risks under anesthesia.
- We reserve the right to decline surgery on pets who behave aggressively toward people or other animals.
PLEASE NOTE: The attending veterinarian and licensed staff will make the best decision for your pet’s safety and well-being. The attending veterinarian may decline to perform any procedure on any animal for any reason.