Service Learning/Service project Hours
If you are a student who would like to do your service learning or leadership hours with the Roanoke Valley SPCA, please email the Community Engagement Coordinator at email@example.com or call 540.339.9503 for more information. We offer short-term volunteer opportunities including special events and work days at the shelter facility. As a one-time service volunteer or volunteer group, you will not be able to interact with the animals one-on-one.
Can’t come into the shelter, but want to help the animals? There are many things you can do to help the animals. Here are some “easy to do” ideas for you!
- Organize a Donation Drive at your school, church or club for pet supplies from our Wish List.
- Make Dog Cookies – directions below
- Make Cat Blankets – directions below
- Make Kitty Kickers (without catnip)
- Make “Adopt Me” bandanas for the dogs and cats.
- Host a car wash, dog wash, lemonade stand, or garage sale and donate the proceeds to the Roanoke Valley SPCA.
- Organize a “Coins for Critters”, “Pennies for Paws” or
- Hold a “Penny War” at school and see which classroom has the most animal lovers by contributing the largest number of pennies.
- Hold a bake sale for pets and people and donate the proceeds to the Roanoke Valley SPCA.
- Get your family involved in the foster care program (parental involvement required).
- Have your class purchase a bed for one of the dogs at the Roanoke Valley SPCA. The Kuranda Company offers a discount on all beds purchased for animal shelters.
Homemade Dog Cookies
Make a batch of these delicious and nutritious dog cookies for your dog or the ones on your block. Sell them to raise money for the Roanoke Valley SPCA! You will need:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
6 tablespoons oil
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup peanut butter
Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Roll dough to about 1/4 inch thickness. Use cookie cutters or design your own shapes. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Allow to cool. Cookies will remain fresh for approximately one week.
For these easy-to-make, comfy blankets you will need:
- Sharp scissors for cutting cloth
- Measuring tape
- Fleece fabric – machine washable fleece in any color (solids preferred) or a printed pattern for one layer and a coordinating solid color for the other layer. One yard of fabric will make 2 large cat blankets or 4 small ones
For a Large Blanket: Cut two rectangles that are 17-18 inches wide by 28-29 inches long. Lay one rectangle on top of the other so they completely overlap. Cutting through both layers, cut a 3-inch square out of each corner and discard them.
Cut slits 3 inches long by approximately 3/4 inches wide along all four sides. Make the cuts as even as you can. This will look like fringe. Tie individual fringes together, top layer to bottom layer, using double knots. To make it easier, you can skip tying every other fringe.
For a Small Blanket: Cut two rectangles that are 17-18 inches wide by 14 inches long. Follow the instructions for making a large cat blanket above.